What is on your Home's New year's Resolution List?
We talk all the time about New Year’s resolutions for ourselves and our families, but what about the place where you spend so much of your time: the place you call home? Whether you live in an apartment, condo, townhouse, or a single family house, there are so many things that your home needs in order to be the healthy and happy place that it should be for you to enjoy life with the people you love. So what is on your home’s New Year’s resolution list? If you need some ideas to get you going, here are our top 20 picks to get things rolling in the right direction in 2020! (Don’t worry, if this sounds too daunting, then just choose a few and try to do one per month this winter. Then you’ll build some momentum right in time for spring cleaning!)
- Deep clean the fridge and freezer. Wait, don’t skip over this one! Think about all the holiday food that’s been getting pushed into the back of your fridge since the last holidays – like, the Labor Day cookout? Or maybe even the 4th of July? It won’t take you that long, and you’ll feel better when this is done, we promise.
- Clean out the cabinets. While you’re at it, why not spend another hour going through all your kitchen and bathroom cabinets to clean and reorganize everything? Getting things in order will bring a better vibe for the new year and also give you a chance to make sure there haven’t been any critters crawling around anywhere in there.
- Dust, dust, dust. From the top of each room to the bottom, including the top of your ceiling fan blades all the way down to the baseboards, get rid of that dusty buildup that’s been degrading your indoor air quality. You know this is totally worth the effort!
- Buy shoe racks for your door areas. A huge amount of the dirt that comes into our homes actually comes from the bottoms of our feet, so if you and your guests start taking your footwear off by the doors, you can seriously improve your home’s cleanliness.
- Get your pet groomed. Another source of so much indoor air pollution is your furry friend, so get him or her a professional grooming, or take the time to bathe and brush them yourself. Totally worth the money and time!
- Upgrade your dehumidifier. Wait, you don’t have a dehumidifier in your lower level? Really? You’re letting so much moist air come up into your main floors. Get one today!
- Reorganize the basement. Sure, you don’t want to do this. But think about how many issues you can identify early, like leaking water and possibly rodent problems. Ignoring these won’t make things better!
- Reorganize the attic. If you’re feeling really brave, then tackle the upper level too. It’s always a good idea to make sure you have adequate insulation, especially in the winter.
- Donate the old stuff. Once you’ve gone through everything, you can find a worthy local nonprofit or other organization to donate your used goods and unwanted food. There is probably a food pantry, soup kitchen or thrift store that would be happy to accept them.
- Get an air duct cleaning. Dirty air ducts make for dirty air. Give your home and yourself the gift of clean lungs.
Call AdvantaClean for Clean Air Ducts Today!
Is Your Home Making You Sick?
Create a healthy environment for your family. Request your service appointment today!
- Get a dryer vent cleaning. Reduce your risk of a dryer vent fire, lower your utility bills, and have better indoor air quality. What’s the reason to not do this?
- Have a radon inspection. If you don’t know about the toxic effects of radon, then it’s time to get smart on this potentially deadly colorless, odorless gas. Check out our website to learn more on how to keep your home safe!
- Have your water tested. Are you sure what you’re drinking is safe? Whether you drink from a public tap or a private well, you know that clean water is essential to healthy life, so invest in a professional water test to be sure.
- Inspect your downspouts. If you allow rain and snow melt to pool around your home’s foundation, you’re just asking for major issues down the road. Make sure your gutters and downspouts are getting the water away from the edge of your home.
- Invest in a basement waterproofing. If you do find issues inside or outside from water damage, then contact AdvantaClean to seal all the cracks and get you set up with the right sump pump for the new year and new decade.
- Invest in a crawl space encapsulation. Same deal here: why worry about that nasty crawl space any longer? This service can pay for itself in the long run when you factor in the health and wellness savings for your home’s utility efficiency and indoor air quality.
- Replace your furnace filters. While we’re on that topic, how long has it been since you swapped out that nasty filter? This is a cheap and easy fix that will make your home and your loved ones a lot happier and healthier.
- Join a local HVAC maintenance plan. Many HVAC companies offer a very affordable semi-annual inspection of your air conditioner and furnace to make sure they’re running at peak efficiency. If they discover issues, some will even give you discounts for being members of their plan.
- Have a professional mold inspection. What’s that funky smell? Don’t ignore it any longer – it could be a toxic strain of mold. Be sure by calling AdvantaClean for a thorough mold inspection and advanced mold testing service.
- Treat yourself to something nice! Whew! You’ve had a lot to do, so after you’ve made your plan for the year, then sit back and enjoy a moment to celebrate a new year and new decade in your life, and the life of the place you call home
More info? For information on home maintenance, check out our post: HOME WELLNESS CHECKLIST