Residential Drainage And Moisture Problems
Wisconsin is known to get heavy spring rains and storms. This precipitation can wreak havoc on the roads and also cause flooding across the counties, including in many residential yards. Homeowners living in low floodplains can experience flooding in their yards, but it can also flood their homes without proper drainage systems in place. Once the moisture reaches inside the home, the number of problems you may be faced with multiplies.
Besides causing extensive damage to structures, moisture becomes a leading health hazard by inducing mold growth. Substances like mold spores contaminate an otherwise clean indoor air. A damp space can also become a favorite breeding ground for insects, germs and rodents.
There are a few types of residential drainage systems that can help homeowners who want to protect their homes during the rainy season. Backyard drainage systems include:
- Surface drainage
- Subsurface applications
- Downspouts and gutters
- Slope systems.
If you aren’t sure what drainage system you have, or if you need one, there are several things you can do to inspect and protect your property against water damage due to poor drainage.
WAYS TO INSPECT & PROTECT AGAINST WATER DAMAGE:
- Inspect your perimeter. Look for signs of cracking or breakage and try to make sure that siding, brick, wood, vinyl, or other exterior coverings are at least six inches above the bottom of the foundation.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from your foundation.
- Check for water pooling near your foundation. You can either do this after a substantial rain event or by spraying water with a hose at various points around your home. If pools of water do form, then remove the water and fill in those areas with dirt to keep it from happening again.
- Clean and inspect your gutters and downspouts.
- Monitor foliage near your home. Cut back plants or vines against your home so they don’t hinder the air circulation process and trap excess dampness against your home. Also, try to avoid planting trees close to your foundation.
- Water your foundation during the summer. In periods where rain is scarce, the spoils of your foundation could dry and shrink, which could upset your foundation. So giving your foundation a good soaking periodically during the dry season can help prevent that problem.
MOISTURE CONTROL SOLUTIONS CAN PROVIDE:
- Fewer chances of mold and mildew germination
- Cleaner indoor air
- No structural damage
- No unpleasant smell
Moisture can attack any part of your property, but those areas are more vulnerable where there’s constant flow and use of water or humidity like kitchen, bathroom and laundry rooms. With AdvantaClean’s help, you can detect and resolve the issue of moisture.
AdvantaClean of the Suburban Milwaukee brings fast and effective control solutions. These solutions can easily be customized according to the nature of your problem at hand.