Hidden Room, Hidden DangerMarch 11, 2011 0 Comments
GREENVILLE, S.C. — Imagine finding a “secret room” in your house.
Jason and Kerri Brown of Greenville found a secret room in their home behind a bookcase, and what was inside was a nightmare beyond their wildest dreams.
“This can’t be happening. This can’t be true. It terrified me,” Kerri Brown told News 4’s Tim Waller.
The secret room in the old mill home on Whitten Street in Greenville’s Dunean section contained a handwritten letter from the previous owner titled, “You Found It!”
“Hello. If you’re reading this, then you found the secret room. I owned this house for a short while and it was discovered to have a serious mold problem. One that actually made my children very sick to the point that we had to move out,” Kerri Brown read from the letter.
According to the note, there was so much mold, it made the last family who lived there sick, and they were forced to move out.
The Browns later learned the home contained the worst types of mold including Stachybotrys, the so-called Toxic Black Mold.
The Browns, who have a young daughter, were stunned.
“It terrified me because my first thought was Megan,” Kerri Brown said. “And you know, I had heard reports of what it does for children, and I was terrified.”
But at this point, it was only a note, and Jason Brown was skeptical.
“Who would leave a note? Why did he do it? What’s he up to? A little bit suspicious I would think. Even cynical almost,” Jason Brown said.
So the Browns hired an environmental engineer to see if there was any truth to the note in the secret room.
To read the rest of this intriguing story, click here.