Stachybotrys chartarum, better known as toxic black mold, is one of the most infamous toxic molds because it produces toxins called mycotoxins, which are extremely dangerous to humans. Toxic black mold is greenish-black in color, and is a gelatinous mold, which means that there is usually a slimy wet layer on the top. However, if a toxic black mold colony’s water source runs out, it can appear dry and powdery. There are several molds that can masquerade as toxic black mold, so if you think you have found Stachybotrys, the best way to tell for sure is to have a mold expert look at a sample of it under a microscope. Because of the serious health effects associated with toxic black mold, if you find it in your home, you need to take immediate steps toward black mold removal. The longer you put off black mold removal, the more damage it can cause to your health and the health of your loved ones.