Dealing with the aftermath of a fire at your home in Minneapolis, MN is an overwhelming process. As you take the next steps in restoring your house and belongings, take caution, as you will need to dispose of some of your things. Keep yourself safe from damaged personal items by taking the proper precautions.

How a Fire Affects Your Belongings

A fire’s flames, heat and smoke and the water used to put out the blaze can damage your belongings. You must carefully clean items that are smoke-damaged, water-logged, and scorched. Additionally, soot and dirty standing water may contain bacteria or toxins that make you sick if you come into contact with them.

What To Throw Away After a Fire

1. Medicine

Medication can easily be damaged by soot and the dangerous chemicals firefighters use to extinguish the flames, leading to contamination. You will get sick if you ingest these medicines.

2. Cosmetics

Smoke and soot can contaminate make-up products and toiletries. If you apply the products to your skin, you risk absorbing the chemicals into your body. High heat also changes the composition of the products, further increasing the risk of using them after a fire.

3. Food

Dispose of any non-perishable food that is canned, boxed or unsealed. Throw out any perishable items that were not kept at the proper temperature because of power loss or the fire’s heat. Do not eat any food you believe may have been contaminated by soot.

4. Burned Clothing

Intensive cleaning could restore some clothing, but most singed items need to go.

As you work with a professional restoration service to bring back your home, remember that fire damage isn’t limited to just your house’s structure. Although it may be hard to part with some of your belongings after a fire, it is crucial for your safety.

Schedule an Appointment or Call (952) 466-6953

To request a service call, please fill out the form below and we will contact you via phone, email or text as soon as possible to confirm an appointment time. You will receive an email confirming your service request.
Phone to call (952) 466-6953