Effects of Mold on Pets

Household Molds & Pets

We have always discussed how molds are bad for us, human beings; we have mentioned how it causes throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, cough, wheezing, and even irritation of the skin. But what about the other important members of our family? We are, of course, talking about our pets. Believe us when we say this, molds can cause significant health hazards to our furry babies. Let us look at all the dangers molds can bring to our pets.

Ingesting Household Mold

Let us think about this, while household mold can cause significant health problems to us humans, most of them can be treated easily. But the whole thing changes when it comes to pets. What if your puppy gets curious and decides to eat the mold? It can be dangerous. (It can be dangerous for us as well but let us work on the assumption that no human is particularly drawn towards eating that stuff.)

We do not have the veterinary experience to suggest what to do when your pet eats mold, but we can tell you the signs and symptoms to look for. Your curious little furry friend will immediately start showing signs of gastrointestinal distress. This can range anywhere from vomiting to loss of appetite.

We recommend looking out for these and taking them to the vet immediately.

Allergic Reactions to Household Mold

Allergies are not something that only humans can get, your pets can develop allergic reactions as well, especially to mold. The signs are similar as well. You can expect them to start wheezing or sneezing uncontrollably, along with a runny nose and/or a hacking cough. It can get more severe for them as well. That includes bleeding from the mouth or nose if the mold is irritating enough to the animal. Keep an eye out for these symptoms; remember they will not be able to “tell” you what exactly is happening.

Since some of the symptoms of these mold reactions are like that of a normal cold, it is good to keep a timeline of when these changes start. If the symptoms last more than a normal period, it might be possible your animal is allergic to mold.

Tips on Keeping Household Mold Away from Your Pets

Mold is a fungus that can grow anywhere. It can grow where you store your pets’ foods or where they sleep. Just remember that molds love warm, damp, and humid places. So, it is suggested that you store your pet’s food in a cool and dry place and a sealed container.

Be careful of the dishes as well, especially if they are made of plastic. Molds can grow in the grooves and cracks of these plastic dishes; opt for glass or metal dishes for your pets.

Also, you need to pay attention to where your pet sleeps. If your pet’s bed is made of any fabric that has cellulose, you can be sure that mold will grow on it given the chance. All you need to do is keep washing the bed at regular intervals and it should be good.


If you have questions about mold damage and associated health risks, we are there to answer your questions. If you are in Ashland, Kentucky, or the surrounding areas of Boyd & Greenup County, give us a call. We will take care of the situation for you.