Dryer Vent Cleaning: Dryer Vent Cleaning FAQs
The following questions are most commonly asked by dryer vent cleaning consumers:
There are common misconceptions about what a dryer vent actually is. Some people believe it is the lint trap that they clean out each time they dry a load of laundry and others think it is the hose that connects their dryer to the wall. In actuality, your dryer vent is the duct work and/or hosing that runs from the dryer, through the wall(s) and to the vent hood located on the exterior of a home or building.
If your dryer takes more than one cycle to dry a load of laundry, it most likely requires dryer vent cleaning. We get dryer vent cleaning referrals every day from repairmen who respond to calls for broken dryers only to find the problem is a clogged dryer vent. When lint and other materials build up on the dryer vent walls, hot air and moisture release is restricted, increasing the time it takes to dry clothes. This often gives the misconception of a broken dryer. With dryer vent cleaning, AdvantaClean in West Lafayette, IN will remove all debris from your ductwork and the dryer will be able to run more efficiently.
Other than the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s recommendation of dryer vent cleaning once per year, the following are often signs that you need dryer vent cleaning:
- It takes more than one drying cycle to dry one load of laundry
- The dryer is hot to the touch indicating it is overheating
- You see an increase in energy bills (dryer has to run longer and work harder to dry clothes)
- Clothes smell “musty” after being in the dryer
- Your home was built more than four years ago
Dryer vent cleaning will likely reduce your power bill because your dryer won’t have to expend as much energy eliminating moisture and hot air. Your dryer is one of the most costly appliances to operate and statistics show that your average savings can be up to $18 to $24 per month.
- Eliminates the risk of lint and other flammable materials overheating and catching on fire
- Enables your dryer to work more efficiently and safely
- Extends the life of your dryer and its heating elements
- Reduces allergens like mold and mildew in your home and on your clothes
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends dryer vent cleaning at least once per year. Consider these factors when determining how often you need your dryer vent cleaned:
- How often is your dryer used?
- Is your dryer over 10 years old?
- Is your dryer vent more than five feet long?
- Is it a full size dryer or small stackable dryer?
- Does your dryer vent have several bends or elbow joints?
- Do you have a bird guard covering your dryer vent exhaust exit?
While approximately 70% of lint is caught in your dryer’s lint trap, the remainder is blown through the dryer ventilation duct. Damp lint that isn’t trapped by the lint screen typically gets stuck on the walls of the duct work and continues to build up over time, causing an array of issues. When this happens, dryer vent cleaning is necessary.
The amount of time it takes to perform dryer vent cleaning varies and depends on the dryer vent length, how much lint has accumulated, and whether or not unexpected problems are encountered such as bird’s nests, torn duct or disconnected vents. In general, it takes around an hour to complete the dryer vent cleaning.
AdvantaClean of North Central Indiana provides service in the following and surrounding areas: Battle Ground, Boswell, Brookston, Buck Creek, Burnettsville, Chalmers, Clarks Hill, Darlington, Dayton, Earl Park, Fowler, Idaville, Lafayette, Linden, Monticello, Montmorenci, New Richmond, Newtown, Otterbein, Oxford, Pine Village, Remington, Reynolds, Romney, Stockwell, Talbot, Templeton, West Lafayette, West Lebanon, Westpoint, Williamsport, Wingate, Wolcott, Yeoman