What to do After a FireJanuary 19, 2012 0 Comments
You may be anxious to clean your home after a fire, but unless you take the time to get professional advice, you may be wasting your efforts or creating further damage.
Even if you don’t hire a professional restoration company, you can minimize further damage by following a few easy tips.
- Open windows for ventilation, weather permitting. Enhance air exchange by placing fans in windows and opening doors.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
When soot and residue are visible on chrome trim faucets and other fixtures clean and protect by washing with detergent and applying a light coating of Vaseline or oil. This will protect items from further corrosion.
- Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape cheesecloth over air vents to capture any loose soot in the air. This is even more effective if the cheesecloth is damp.
- Blow off, brush or vacuum (with brush attachment) loose smoke particles from upholstery, draperies and carpeting.
- Empty refrigerators and freezers if electricity is shut off, and prop doors open to allow air circulation.
- Remove pets to a clean environment when heavy fire residue is present. Pets should be bathed with traditional pet shampoo to remove any unwanted dirt.
- Send sample garments to a dry cleaner for cleaning and deodorization if odor is present.
Wipe the leaves of house plants to remove smoke residue.
- If needed, do board up open windows, roofs, or other open areas in order to prevent additional damage.
- Individuals with a medical conditions or chemical sensitivities should move to a clean environment if they experience dizziness or nausea. Should symptoms persist seek medical attention.
If you’ve experienced fire damage, AdvantaClean can help.
At AdvantaClean, we know how different materials react to fire, heat and smoke and what steps to take to minimize the damage. We will be there, calmly and professionally, to perform the necessary services to to preserve, protect and secure your property from further damage.
Call us today.