Prepare Your Property Before Traveling this Holiday SeasonDecember 13, 2013 0 Comments
If you’re like most, either you or someone you know will be traveling this holiday season. Leaving for vacation typically requires some upfront preparation, but taking a wintertime holiday vacation deserves extra precautions.
According to HomeInsurance.com, the average cost of a water damage claim is $6,965. Prevention only takes a few steps! These simple tasks to prepare your property before traveling this holiday season can help ensure that you don’t come back to find water damage at your property.
Here are some important tips to prepare your home or business for a holiday vacation!
Prepare Your Property Before Traveling this Holiday Season:
- Check your plumbing.
- Turn off the water supply to your toilets.
- Check to make sure the toilets aren’t running.
- Turn off the water lines running to your washer.
- If you will be on vacation for an extended period of time, the best house flood protection is to shut the water off and drain water lines.
- Wrap insulation around any water pipes (hot or cold) that run through unheated areas (like your crawlspace or porch).
- Adjust your thermostats to between 50 and 55 degrees.
- Don’t leave appliances (dishwasher, washing machine or dryer) running when you leave.
- Unplug electrical equipment (computers, TV’s, gaming systems, etc.).
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater.
It’s always best to prepare your property before traveling this holiday season, but occasionally, even the most well-prepared homes and buildings can experience unexpected problems.
If you return from holiday vacation to a leak or flood, call 877-800-2382 day or night to fix water damage.
More Info? You can learn more by checking out the Best Practices to Prevent Water Damage in Your Home!