Mold in Air Ducts Can Cause Allergic ReactionsMarch 28, 2016 0 Comments
Mold in Air Ducts Can Cause Allergic Reactions
According to a 2005 study conducted by the National Institutes of Health and cited in Total Health Magazine, one out of every six allergy sufferers’ symptoms can be directly linked to the mold in air ducts. Most people are exposed to some mold every day without suffering any side effects, but people with mold allergies can potentially have a reaction if exposed to too much mold, including symptoms such as wheezing, rashes or hives, itchy eyes, and respiratory failure.
Preventing and Cleaning Mold in Air Ducts
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suggests having our ducts cleaned if the surface of your ducts have visible mold, but unfortunately many areas of your HVAC system that contain mold might not be immediately visible. To avoid the health hazards associated with mold in air ducts, you need to reduce the sources of particulates and moisture found in your ductwork.
Tips for Preventing and Eliminating Mold in Air Ducts:
- Have your HVAC system inspected and cleaned by an air duct cleaning professional. Cleaning your air duct system removes the particulates and mold in air ducts.
- Use central air conditioning set on “recirculate.”Doing this excludes much of the pollen and mold from the air in your home.
- Use a vacuum with double-bagging, or a HEPA filter.
- Inspect your HVAC system. Inspecting your system at least once a year for mold in air ducts can not only save you money on your heating and cooling costs, but it can also help you put a stop to any contamination.
- Cut back on the carpeting and drapes. Consider tile and hardwood, and roll up shades instead.
- Take off your shoes right outside the door, before coming inside, or at least wipe them well on an outdoor mat.
More info? For more tips on mold in air ducts how to how to avoid air duct dangers, check out one of our other posts, Survive Spring Allergies.
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule an air duct cleaning or mold inspection with AdvantaClean today!