Identify Mold and Mildew in Your HomeNovember 18, 2014 0 Comments
Identify Mold and Mildew in Your Home
Two ingredients are needed for mold or mildew to grow. These include oxygen and moisture. With these two prevalent ingredients being available nearly everywhere, it should be no surprise that mold grows abundantly in many places. Mold spores are in the air and attach to moisture. Then if conditions are right, and high levels of moisture remain, the mold will grow.
In homes and offices, common places for mold to grow are kitchens and bathrooms where even a small drip can create an environment for mold to thrive. Leaks or condensation in HVAC systems or on duct work can create mold problems along with any moisture that gets in the walls, ceilings or under floors.
Since we are exposed to mold and mildew nearly every day, small doses do not generally pose a problem. However, mold impacts people differently. Children, the elderly, asthma sufferers, and those with allergies are more susceptible to having reactions to the presence of mold. This can show itself in the form of respiratory issues that often resemble flu-like symptoms.
How To Tell If You have A Mold problem
The three most common ways a mold problem is discovered is through seeing mold growth, smelling the musky smell that mold produces, or observing physical symptoms when in your home or a certain room in the house or building.
Another way to locate a mold problem is to have your home tested by a certified mold professional. While most homeowners do not routinely have this test completed, a prospective buyer may request the test when they are considering purchasing your home. This will be particularly true if they have mold sensitivities that would be a problem.
Home remodels can also uncover a mold or mildew issue. This is particularly true if walls or ceilings are being removed or floors are being replaced. When tile or wallpaper is removed from walls, this can expose a moisture problem where mold has set in.
What to Do If You Suspect a Mold or Mildew Problem
If mold is discovered at any level the problem should be addressed immediately.
If the mold is caught early the fix may be fast and inexpensive. When mold is left untreated, it will spread and grow creating a problem than can result in thousands of dollars in damage to your home or office.
The first step is to identify where the moisture build up is coming from. Getting rid of the mold, without getting rid of the problem, will lead to mold re-growing in the same place. Therefore, it is important to identify the cause. According to the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC), ”When the humidity in the air is above 50% mold can grow.” Often leaky pipes, moisture from vents or ductwork, and high levels of uncontrolled humidity can be the source of the issue. Mold will also occur when flooding occurs, pipes burst, or water heaters leak.
Once the water problem is solved and the area is completely dried out, then clean-up can begin.
If you suspect water damage or mold, take immediate action and call AdvantaClean @ 877-957-5670