Green Homes Are Healthy Homes this St Patrick's Day!March 14, 2016 0 Comments
Green Homes Are Healthy Homes this St Patrick’s Day!
As St Patrick’s Day approaches, shamrocks and four-leaf clovers aren’t the only splashes of green that can be spotted around town. All across the United States, the green home and healthy home environment is becoming increasingly more important. In fact, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Sloan School of Management recently measured the sustainability initiative and discovered that 68% of respondents have increased their commitment to sustainability in the past year – a dramatic increase from the 25% response from the previous year.
The EPA agrees that green homes are healthy homes. The Indoor airPLUS program offered by the EPA offers a set of standards as well as certification (much like the Energy Star Program) that assures home owners of a home with good moisture control, appropriate ventilation, radon control, pest management, combustion venting, and safe building materials. For 2016 and beyond, look for green home design that takes healthy homes even further, featuring designs that maximize lifestyle and wellness, with emphasis on more natural light and LED lights allowing for changing colors for gray or wintery days.
Healthy Homes: How You Can Have a Green Home
DIY: Glass Cleaner, All-Purpose Cleaner and Deodorizer, Grease Cleaner, Heavy-Duty Scrub – Get the Recipes Here!
- Switch off the lights when you leave a room.
- Turn down the air conditioner when you leave the house.
- Install low-flow shower heads.
- Water your yard less.
- Consider composting.
- Use chemical-free, all-natural cleaners like the ones found in our previous blog post, This Spring Clean With the Safer Choice.
- Recycle and reuse your air. By setting your HVAC system to “recirculate,” you’re recirculating the air in your healthy home instead of pulling outside air in, which tends to bring with it pollen and mold spores. Before you do this, consider having your air duct system cleaned so you aren’t recirculating potentially harmful air.
More info? For more ways to go green, and healthy home tips, check out our other post, Going Green with Clean Air Ducts.
Call 877.800.2382 to schedule an air duct cleaning with AdvantaClean today!