FAQ: Mold On Carpets and RugsFebruary 3, 2016 0 Comments
Mold on Carpets and Rugs
As the seasons change, chances are your home décor is changing with them. As you trade in and trade up throw pillows, curtains, centerpieces, and rugs, take a moment to inspect the items you’re storing away as well as what you’re bringing out. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) explains that absorbent or porous materials such as your rugs and carpet are at high risk for mold growth. Unfortunately, mold on carpet is not that uncommon. If you have mold on carpet, it likely needs to be thrown away because mold can grow on or fill in the crevices, making the mold difficult or impossible to completely remove.
The key to mold control is moisture control – if mold is a problem in a home, it needs to be remediated, and the sources of moisture need to be eliminated.
How to prevent mold on carpet and rugs:
In order to grow, mold needs moisture, oxygen, a food source (porous materials). While there’s not much you can do about the food source and temperatures suitable for mold growth, the EPA says there is something you can do about the moisture it needs. The EPA and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) offer the following tips on how to control moisture in your home:
- Pay special attention to carpet on concrete floors
- Choose high-quality carpet padding
- Fix leaks and seepage
- Clean smart
- Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners
- Open doors between rooms to increase circulation, including closet doors
What to do if you find mold on carpet or rugs:
- If you have mold on carpet, identify the type of material underneath your carpet or rugs that has been affected. While semi-porous, hardwoods can likely be saved through the use of an antimicrobial scrub.
- Mold on carpet? Schedule a mold inspection and remediation with a MICRO-certified mold remediation specialist to assess any and all damage.
More info? Not sure if you have mold on carpet? For more information on how to identify mold, read our post: Identify Mold and Mildew in Your Home.
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule a mold inspection or remediation estimate AdvantaClean today!