Fall Energy Saving TipsNovember 2, 2012 0 Comments
Cover drafty windows
- Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during the cold winter months. Make sure the plastic is sealed tightly to the frame to help reduce infiltration.
- Install tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty after weatherizing. Find out about other window treatments and coverings that can improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning ducts can greatly improve your air conditioning system’s efficiency, resulting in lower monthly energy bills.
Find and seal leaks
- Seal the air leaks around utility cut-throughs for pipes, gaps, and chimneys.
- Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
Maintain your heating systems
- Furnaces – replace your furnace filter once a month, or as needed.
- Wood heaters – clean the flue vent regularly and clean the inside of the appliance with a wire brush periodically.