Easy Energy Savings for FallAugust 20, 2013 0 Comments
Fall is fast approaching, and energy bills tend to increase the most during a season change. There are many different ways you can save energy without sacrificing comfort. Here are some easy energy-saving tips to increase efficiency and decrease monthly bills!
Most households shell out 50% to 70% of their energy budgets on heating and cooling. Try these tips to stay warm:
- Keeping your furnace clean and properly adjusted will reduce energy use, saving up to 5% of heating costs.
- Studies show 10% to 30% of heated (or cooled) air in an average system escapes from ducts. Schedule a check up for your HVAC system/air ducts by NADCA certified technicians. Seal/insulate duct work according to your NADCA professional’s recommendations.
Stop Drafts: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, drafts can waste 5% to 30% of your energy use.
- Save between 1% to 3% of your heating bill with a programmable thermostat. Ask your local utility company if it’s making ‘smart meters’ (load control devices) available in your area.
- Take a close look at places where two different construction materials meet – such as corners, around chimneys, where pipes or wires exit, and along the foundation: Tightening up places where air leaks out by sealing them with caulk can limit warm air from escaping your home.
- Space heaters can only reduce heating bills if you turn down the temperature in the entire house. Heaters work best in walled-in rooms (rather than open spaces with high ceilings), where the heat can be contained.
- Use quilted curtains, or a heavier fabric, to cover drafty windows to make your room feel warmer, even at a lower temperature.
- Help stop cold air from intruding entry ways with a DIY Draft Snake! Make your own to position under a drafty doorway.
- You can add a shield against drafts and extra still-air space to improve your home’s ability to hold heat:
- Install Low-e Window Film: A plastic film with low-E coating reduces 40% of heat loss! On one side, the film can keep out solar radiation in hotter areas. Installed on the other side reflects heat back inside for colder climates. Purchase the insulation kit at your local hardware or discount store.
- For a DIY fix, cover window panes with bubble wrap! Bubble wrap window installation is easy and inexpensive.
Reducing your personal power usage can save you over $100 per year!
- Most appliances use energy even when they are turned off, but by plugging multiple cords into one power strip, you can turn them all completely off with one flip of the power strip switch.
- $1 Invested in Efficient Lighting Can Pay Back up to $6 in Energy Savings!
- Switching from incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Use overhead lighting less by adding table lamps or directional lights to aim light where you need it most.
Does your office building or commercial property need an Energy Savings boost? Learn how AdvantaClean can save your business time and cut energy costs: Big savings for Businesses – Benefits of Commercial Coil Cleaning.