Avoiding Laundry Room HazardsMay 30, 2012 0 Comments
Clogged dryer vents can be costly to a home or business in several ways. Most people clean their lint trap after every load of laundry; however, lint also accumulates in the ductwork between your dryer and where the hose vents to the outside.
When a dryer vent is clogged, it forces the dryer to work harder. This can cause:
- Increased energy consumption
- Accelerated thermostat failure
- Reduction of the lifespan of your appliance
Dryer vent cleaning can also reduce the risk of fire. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that 15,500 fires associated with clothes dryers occur annually. That’s nearly 40 a day!
Here are some headlines just from the month of May, 2012:
- Firefighters Battle Stubborn Blaze Seattle, WA
- Firefighters Put Out Dryer Fire Providence, RI
- Dryer Causes House Fire in Twin Falls Twin Falls, ID
- Firefighters Respond to Fire Ludlow, WI
- Officials Said Clothes Dryer to Blame in Fire Biloxi, MS